Dr. Teresa (Teri) Behrens is the director of the Institute for Foundation and Donor Learning. The Institute for Foundation and Donor Learning provides professional development resources for donors, foundation staff and those who work with them to implement programs. The Institute includes The Grantmaking School (in-person and online workshops), LearnPhilanthropy (a web-based portal to professional development resources) and The Foundation Review (the peer-reviewed journal of philanthropy).
Behrens is also the editor in chief for The Foundation Review, published by the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy at Grand Valley State University in Grand Rapids, MI. The Foundation Review is written by and for foundation staff and boards as well as those who work with them to implement programs.
Behrens joined the Johnson Center in January 2009. She previously served as the director of evaluation for the W.K. Kellogg Foundation, providing leadership for the Foundation’s overall evaluation program. From 1995–2001, Behrens consulted in program planning and evaluation for organizations such as the National Science Foundation-supported Industry/University Cooperative Research Centers. From 1990–1995, she was a program officer for the Michigan Strategic Fund for the Michigan Department of Commerce.
Areas of Expertise
- Evaluation and planning
- Systems thinking tools
- Organizational learning
Media & Mentions
- Kresge Foundation News; Kresge learning and evaluation celebrates 2-year anniversary, support of Equitable Evaluation highlight of 2017 (Dec 2017)
- GVNow; GVSU researchers use new method to explore giving traits of specific communities (June 2017)
- Alliance; CoF reflections: We need to be able to defend our ground in unsettling times (May 2017)
- Bridge Magazine; Calvin College chooses money over values (July 2014)
- Nonprofit Quarterly; Is Strategic Philanthropy Yesterday’s News? (June 2014)
- GVNow; Grand Valley announces publication of new philanthropy journal (Feb 2008)