Tory Martin is the director of communications and engagement at the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy at Grand Valley State University. In this dual role, Martin partners with her colleagues on the senior leadership team to identify, implement, support, and promote the Johnson Center’s strategic priorities and vision for a world powered by smart, adaptive, and effective philanthropy. She is responsible for steering the Johnson Center’s messaging and brand expression across digital and print platforms, and oversees our efforts to connect our work and mission with a growing community of philanthropists and nonprofit professionals.
Prior to joining the Johnson Center in the fall of 2017, Martin served as grants manager for National Public Radio (NPR) in Washington, D.C., stewarding foundation donors and individual philanthropists to help strengthen and further the work of fact-based, independent journalism. Before that, she spent several years with the Smithsonian Institution’s National Museum of American History, where she served as project manager for the bi-coastal What it Means to Be American program and the first-ever History Film Forum.
Martin currently serves on the Steering Committee for EPIP Michigan — the statewide chapter of Emerging Practitioners in Philanthropy — and volunteers regularly with the YWCA West Central Michigan.
Martin graduated with distinction from the University of Virginia and holds a B.A. in American studies and history. She earned her master’s degree in liberal studies, concentration American studies, from Georgetown University.
Media & Mentions
- MiBiz; Philanthropy’s role blurs as more businesses adopt social enterprise models (March 2019)
- Pro Bono Australia; Nonprofit Media is Experiencing a Growth Spurt — So is Philanthropy’s Response (Feb. 2019)
- WGVU Morning Show with Shelley Irwin; Tory Martin shares the Johnson Center’s “11 Trends in Philanthropy” for 2019 (Jan. 2019)
- Crain’s Detroit Business; What’s up with those Facebook happy birthday fundraisers? (Oct. 2018)
- WGVU Morning Show with Shelley Irwin; Nonprofit Navigation with Dr. Juan Olivarez and Tory Martin (July 2018)
- WGVU Morning Show with Shelley Irwin; Tory Martin and Matthew Downey discuss Field Notes in Philanthropy (March 2018)
- WGVU Morning Show with Shelley Irwin; #GRgives on #GivingTuesday (Nov. 2017)
- MLive; Why Giving Tuesday can have a bigger impact if you share on social media (Nov. 2017)