In this webinar, we take a deep dive into the research behind a 2020 study of private and community foundation investment returns and payout rates. The study was commissioned by the Council of Michigan Foundations and conducted by a joint research team from the Johnson Center and Plante Moran Financial Advisors.
In contrast to other studies that used a sample of foundations, this project utilized the Johnson Center’s database of all electronically filed IRS Form 990s and Form 990-PFs, drawn from the massive IRS data set stored in the Amazon cloud. This dataset allowed the team to calculate both investment returns and payout rates for more than 50,000 U.S. foundations from 2013–2018.
• Teri Behrens, Johnson Center for Philanthropy
• Trish Abalo, Johnson Center for Philanthropy
• Brittany Kienker, Council of Michigan Foundations
• Jeff Williams, Johnson Center for Philanthropy
• Casey Veach, Plante Moran Financial Advisors
Original recording date: March 1, 2021