Adriana Paz is the senior database administrator for the Dorothy A. Johnson Center for Philanthropy at Grand Valley State University (GVSU) in Grand Rapids, Mich. She is responsible for database development and administration as well as oversight of data system security.
Paz joined the Johnson Center in 2011 as a graduate assistant programmer for the Community Research Institute. Previously, she coordinated the implementation of HR administration systems as a project director at ASEINFO, a custom software development company with clients in South America, Central America, and the Caribbean.
Before that, in the role of Director of International Technology Communications, she led the research & development strategies, policies and plans for a privately funded system and web design initiative based in St. Louis, Mo. in partnership with the Technical University of Sofia in Bulgaria.
Paz earned her master’s degree in computer information systems from Grand Valley State University and holds a bachelor’s degree in systems engineering, information systems, and computer science from Universidad Francisco Marroquín (UFM) in Guatemala City, Guatemala.
Paz is a member of both the Big Data Advisory Council and the Latino/a Faculty and Staff Association at GVSU. She is also an affiliated research faculty member of the GVSU College of Engineering & Computing. Adriana mentors young professionals through the Michigan Council of Women in Technology, and also serves as a mentor for GVSU students through the Fostering Laker Success program. In addition, she volunteers her time as an information systems security advisor for Lighthouse Immigrant Advocates.
- Text Analysis with Machine Learning and Neuro-Linguistic Programming (Humanities Intensive Learning and Teaching)
- Graduate Certificate in Management (GVSU Seidman College of Business)
- Biomedical Informatics Graduate Certificate (GVSU School of Computing and Information Systems)
- Information Systems Management Graduate Certificate (GVSU School of Computing and Information Systems)
- Software Engineering Graduate Certificate (GVSU School of Computing and Information Systems)
- Software Design and Development Graduate Certificate (GVSU School of Computing and Information Systems)
- Software Engineering for Web Applications (Universidad Galileo)
- Tableau Desktop Advanced
Areas of Expertise
- Database design and implementation
- Database capacity planning and recovery
- Disaster recovery
- Procedural programming for transactional databases (PL/SQL,T-SQL, PL/pgSQL)
- System Security and Administration
- Server infrastructure design for web application development and support
- Spatial and geographic objects in an object relational database – PostGIS
- Ad-hoc reporting with focus on data conversion and data integration
- Big Data strategies and Text Analysis with Machine Learning