Guidance for Strengthening Your Board Service
The Nonprofit Board Certificate Program offers guidance for those serving or planning to serve on nonprofit boards. Our program defines the roles and responsibilities for board service.
I went through this program years ago — it changed my life! This program really gave me insight and knowledge to serve effectively as an elected official. I highly recommend it!
– Monica Sparks, Kent County Commissioner
The one-time, four-hour program covers topics including:
Roles and Responsibilities of Being on a Board
- Prevalence and impact of nonprofit organizations
- How nonprofit organizations operate
- Board roles and responsibilities
Legal Responsibilities and Liabilities of the Board
- The nonprofit organization as a legal entity
- The legal “duties” and responsibilities of board members
- Legal liabilities of board members
- Sarbanes-Oxley and nonprofit board service
Nonprofit Fundraising and the Board
- Revenue sources of nonprofit organizations
- Donor motivations
- Truths about fundraising
- Prospecting individual donors
Nonprofit Financial Management and Board Structures
- Evolving issues facing nonprofits and their boards
- Nonprofit and for-profit finances: What are the differences?
• Nonprofit income statement
• Nonprofit audits
• IRS Form 990
- Nonprofit Board Committees and Taskforces
• Elected position
If you are interested in training for your business or organization, contact Kevin Peterson for information on arranging a customized training for at email@example.com or call 616-331-7585.