The Foundation Review is the first peer-reviewed journal of philanthropy, written by and for foundation staff and boards and those who work with them. Each quarterly issue provides peer-reviewed reports about the field of philanthropy, including reports by foundations on their own work.
Our mission: To share evaluation results, tools, and knowledge about the philanthropic sector in order to improve the practice of grantmaking, yielding greater impact and innovation.
Editorial Advisory Board
Members of the Editorial Advisory Board for The Foundation Review are experts in grantmaking and evaluation of programs. From diverse work settings including academia, foundations, nonprofits, government, and independent consulting the Editorial Advisory Board uses its unique perspective to advise and develop our work.
- Robert Ashcraft, Ph.D. – Lodestar Center for Philanthropy at Arizona State University
- Kathy Palumbo, Ph.D. – The Community Foundation for Greater Atlanta
- Patricia Patrizi – Patrizi Associates
- Michael Quinn Patton, Ph.D. – Utilization-Focused Evaluation
- Hallie Preskill, Ph.D. – FSG Social Impact Consultants
- Patrick Rooney, Ph.D. – Indiana University Lilly Family School of Philanthropy
We believe that the forthright sharing of information among foundations and nonprofits builds a knowledge base that strengthens their ability to effectively address critical social issues. We encourage foundation donors, boards, and staff to honor this transparency in their own practices and to support others who do so.
Contributing Authors and Partner Organizations
Submission Guidelines for Authors
When submitting a manuscript, we encourage you to keep these Author Guidelines in mind.
Call for Papers
Abstracts of up to 250 words are being solicited for Volume 9, Issue 1 of The Foundation Review. This issue will be an open (unthemed) issue. Papers on any topic relevant to organized philanthropy are invited.
Submit abstracts to email@example.com by May 15, 2016. If a full paper is invited, it will be due Sept. 15, 2016 for consideration for publication in March, 2017.
If you would like to submit a full paper for review (not in response to a Call for Papers), please register. After you log in, click on “Submit A Paper” on the menu at the top of the screen. Choose “Open-Uninvited” from the drop-down menu for the type of paper, then follow the instructions.
The Foundation Review article abstracts and full text articles that have been in publication for two years or more are included in these databases:
- EBSCO Discovery Service
- EBSCOhost: Business Source
- EBSCOhost: Nonprofit Organization Reference Center
- Gale Cengage Learning: Academic OneFile
- ProQuest: Central
- ProQuest: Social Sciences Journals
- ProQuest: Research Library